holy crap! I was just reading my post and realized I mispelled your ScreenName in the worst way possible. I'M SORRY!!! I really didn't realize...Damn...As funny as it looks, it was really an accident.
gonnacockass,
You're very right in so many ways. Especially about the creative aspect. The one thing I believe that's passing you by is that some players are much more fuctional than others.
I prefer guys who do their job well over guys who play EXTREMELY original. I love Steve Hass Shawn Pelton and many others because these guys can play anything while having their own thing going on. By anything I mean, jingles, movie dates, weddings, jazz, rock, latin, Whatever. To me, Vinnie is the master of that. And even though critics had interesting things to say about him JAZZ wise or creatively in the beginning of his career, he's the most functional drummer in the world. And a Keith Carlock is hardly that fuctional and does not compare to Vinnie in that sense. Can you imagine Keith reading down a Broadway show? Vinnie however, would kill IT. I have respect for studio guys who are extremely functional. Like ROBSTICKS said, he saw him have trouble playing seven.
And you know as well as i do, when Vinnie plays jazz, he's Tony all the way. Everyone comes from somewhere. Carlock=Erskine in my opinion. That light amazing groove thing and the cymbal approach comes from Ersko in my opinion. I don't think Carlock is the next anthing. Just another GREAT player with his own voice.
holy crap! I was just reading my post and realized I mispelled your ScreenName in the worst way possible. I'M SORRY!!! I really didn't realize...Damn...As funny as it looks, it was really an accident.
He talks about it here...
http://www.keithcarlock.com/discus/m...tml?1095807549
If Larry King wrote a weekly drum column....
"Carlock on SD's Everything Must Go is the epitomy of funk. "Lunch with Gina", Godwhacker, Green Room, are great examples of an amazing pocket...."
"Is it me, or is Marvin Smitty Smith one of the most underrated drummers of all time?"
"Brian Blade is one groovy, stylin, ol' school mofo"....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't get it, Dave...is this a 'good' or 'bad' thing? [img]wink.gif[/img] [those quotes...parody or no?]...If Larry King wrote a weekly drum column....
SDK - click on the "edit post" function of your specific post above [that little "paper & pencil" icon in each post's upper R corner] & erase [delete]/change your error if you prefer...that certainly is quite the "unintentionally witty" typo... [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]
That's OK...sometimes i wear my GF's [Freudian-] Slip if i want to, as well... [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 27, 2004 09:44 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, Fuse, it's "Not that there's anything wrong with that"! Come on, Dave, get it right!Originally posted by FuseU1:
[QB]
Horacio simply kicks asp... & anyone who thinks otherwise is gay, no matter WHO they are. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
["Not that that's a BAD thing..." - Seinfeld] [img]wink.gif[/img]
[img]mad.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
And yeah, El Negro's technique, independence, and creative spark are simply incredible. Anyone who says otherwise--I'd say they're crazy! But...to each his own. Opinions are like a$$holes. We all got 'em, and everyone else thinks they STINK! [img]cool.gif[/img]
-Tom
Keith can't swing? Play clave? Solo over a form? Play a Broadway Show? "Hardly" that functional? Not gonna be the next anything?
Reality check guys.
Let's base our opinions on what we know from facts, observation, and experience. Not other people's interpretations.
Keith played in the Two O'Clock Lab Band at UNT. He can read AND swing AND play clave. And he IS the big thing right now, whether you like him or not.
To me, Keith sounds more like David Garibaldi (on speed) than anyone else. That's a good thing.
Again, not my favorite, but ya gotta have mad respect for the guy.
Chris Dave is one bad dude. When I saw him w/Garrett in '98 they opened with Ja-Hed but much faster than the tempo that's on the record. He just seemed to have chops and ideas at that tempo for days. It was like Four And More Tony and Tain from hell. Then he goes and throws down the nastiest, basement, wet-dog funk/hip-hop groove ever and I was pretty much all done after that.
I've been checkin' out some Marlon Browden w/Greg Osby, Omer Avital. Browden plays with a great feel, sound, and touch.
ok so i heard some more of his stuff and sorry folks, i still don't get it. i'm not saying he's a bad drummer, but i just don't understand why people think of him so highly. from grooves to chops, there are guys like dicenso and novak that'll eat him up for breakfast. i think keith's grooves are ok but his soloing is IMO very sloppy and unmusical. juanexpo, its those oz noy trio clips that first turned me off. it is PAINFUL watching him. call me what you want. i don't think hes anything special.
Listen I don't want to be jazz snob or anything, that North Texas State student Big Band, IN MY OPINION, is not a swingin band, and the great drummers who have come out of it Ed Soph, Steve Houghton, etc...Are not exactly Tain or Lewis Nash when it comes to that swing. And Keith is a MOFO, but he's not a jazz drummer and when I've seen him solo, it's a flurry of notes not relating to the song. Being that I'm in NYC and have seen him play live prolly more than anyone in here, I would know. And he doesn't play latin. In NYC Keith does fusion gigs and rock gigs.
Reading a big band chart doesn't mean you can read a film score. Everyone has limits, there's no reason why we can't acknowledge them. The guy's a great drummer, SDK was mentioning his limits and other drummers who don't have the same limits.
Bookmarks